CORVALLIS, Ore. – Cooper Hjerpe 11 strikeouts in six innings and Gavin Logan drove in a pair of runs in the eighth to send No. 2 Oregon State to a 5-1 win over No. 24 Oregon on Friday night at Goss Stadium in Coleman Field.
Hjerpe scattered four hits and a run in his 12and start of the season, picking up his ninth victory of the season. He was supported by Ben Ferrierwho struck out six in three scoreless relief innings, earning his second save of the year.
Oregon State (36-9 overall, 16-6 Pac-12 Conference) won its third game of the year against Oregon (28-17, 13-9) on 11 walks and six hits. Justin Boyd and Jacob Melton broke a 1-1 tie with back-to-back, goal-laden walks in the fourth inning.
Gavin Logan capped the night’s scoring with a two-run brace in the eighth.
OSU chased Oregon starter RJ Gordon after 3 1/3 innings. He allowed two hits and three runs, making the season’s loss 2-2.
The Beavers scored the first point of the game on a squeeze par Matthew Gretler in the second. The Ducks scored their only inning of the game on a Drew Cowley groundout in the third.
Oregon State and Oregon continue the three-game series Saturday night at Goss Stadium in Coleman Field. The first pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. PT. It will be broadcast live on Pac-12 networks. Oregon State to honor former head coach Pat Casey during a pre-match ceremony which will begin at 5:35 p.m.
Oregon State Banknotes
– The first pitch was delayed 70 minutes at 8:15 p.m. due to rain.
– The match was also delayed 18 minutes in the fourth inning, from 9:33 p.m. to 9:51 p.m.
– Justin Boyd extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a single in third.
– Garret Forrester extended his hitting streak to 13 games with an infield single in the eighth.
– Victory was Oregon State’s 16and in conference play, securing the Beavers a winning record in Pac-12 play for 11and consecutive season.
– Cooper Hjerpe hit double-digit strikeouts for the sixth time in 12 starts this season. He has eight or more in 10 of his 12 starts.
– Hjerpe struck out 73 in 39 1/3 innings at home this season. He lowered his ERA at Goss Stadium to 1.83.
– Hjerpe struck out 82 in 50 1/3 innings in Pac-12 play. His ERA against conference opponents is 2.15.
– Ben Ferrier has now inherited 10 riders this season. Only two scored. He also retired the first batter he faced on 12 of his 15 relief outings.
Follow us on social networks
For more Oregon State baseball news, follow the club’s official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverBaseball, by Facebook at Facebook.com/OregonStateBaseball or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverBaseball.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Bto build Eexcellent Aauthentic Visionary Sstudent-Aathletes (Go BEAVS).