PUERTO VALLARTA, Mexico. – The Tigers entered their final game of the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge with their second look at Long Beach State. As Memphis returned, the 49er’s offense exploded midgame and the Tigers suffered an 8-5 loss.
After today’s games, Memphis is down to 2-3 on aggregate.
MEMPHIS: 5, LONG BEACH: 8
How did it happen:
- Long Beach took a 3-0 lead early in the 2n/a inning when Bickar and Olson recorded back-to-back RBI hits, all of which were not earned.
- Memphis would get its first inning of the game in the bottom half of 2n/a after Megan Chism landed a sack bunt and forced the 49er defense to their first error of the game, which allowed Gracie Morton to mark.
- Sam Ibison would reach base on Long Beach’s second error of the inning that brought Chism through home plate to cut their deficit to one.
- Long Beach added four combined runs in the 4and and 5and innings to extend their lead to 7-2.
- The Tigers got two runs in the bottom of 5and when Kendall Lee isolated to central field which brought Camryn Winemakerand Alexis Dale through home plate to make it a 7-4 game.
- LBSU added a final run in the top-6and round when Inae drew a goal-laden march.
- Zoe Adebayo would send a ball into right field at the top of the 6and sleeve that brought LaNya Bates at home and cut Memphis’ deficit to 8-5, but they would be unable to rally and would suffer the 8-5 loss.
- The Tigers will return to the United States next weekend when they take part in the Florida Gulf Coast Invitational where they will face Austin Peay, Belmont, Boston College and FGCU.
- The first pitch for Memphis is scheduled for 9 a.m. Friday morning.